Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On Call

This past week Preston was a "super Dad" as he always is. I was on call for Hospice for each week night and over the weekend. In order for this to work Preston had to rush home from work each day to be here in case I had a call. Two of the week nights he had to feed and put the twins to bed on his own and I was pretty much gone for the entire day of Saturday. He took Gracie and Bailey to McDonald's all by himself. These things may seem little but doing these things with 2 two year olds is not easy as I find out everyday! I LOVED hearing about the special things that they did together. Some of their outfits that Daddy picked out were a little bit funny but that is ok. I am now on the schedule to cover on call for the second week of each month. It is a blessing for us to be able to earn extra money and not have any overhead child care cost.
Throughout the week alot of my friends and family members would ask about my calls and how I was doing. I would give generic information like that I had to notify a family that their loved one had passed or that I was admitting a younger pt. They would always follow their questions up with a statement about how my job must be awful. I want to share with you all that I absolutely love my job. I feel like each instance is an opportunity to show my love to a different patient or family. I think about how if I was not present in that moment the family could have been cared for by someone who is not as caring or by possibly no one at all. I work with families during the most precious time in life and it is such an awesome reminder that life is a gift and that it is something that should be treasured each and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment