Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Our First Dental Appointment



Today the twins had their first dental appointment. I had a recommendation from some friends for a pediatric dentist and so I made an appointment as this was the first year that we added Gracie and Bailey to our dental plan. A couple of weeks ago I had my dental appointment and the twins were very excited to examine my bag of goodies that I brought home. The bag included the typical tooth bush, toothpaste and dental floss. We started talking to them about the dentist and even practiced for the appointment at night while brushing their teeth. Even though we had practiced and talked about it, I still was not sure how they would do but they did beautifully! They both were so brave. Before the appointment started the dentist consulted with me and told me that most kids at this age just tour the office and look at the equipment and that he didn't want me to have high expectations for how much we would get done. The twins did great and allowed him to fully count and inspect their teeth in addition to brushing and flossing them. I am so glad that I made the decision to go with a pediatric dentist as it really helped to make their first visit friendly and fun. The office was full of Disney movies playing in the background, stickers and kid friendly activities. I was one happy momma to have conquered this first time appointment!

3 comments:

  1. It's so cute to see that they're being examined at the same time. I'm glad that they faced the dentist so bravely! :) After conquering their first dental appointment, I'm sure the next time would be a breeze. It's really good to bring kids to a child's dentist than a normal dentist. It really helps them to feel so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents can go anxious as they try to take their panicking kids to their first dental visit because not all kids are a fan of strangers poking or looking inside their mouth. And I’m glad to know that your kids are not one of those children. They’re very brave and in my opinion, giving them an idea how it would be like at the dentist's helps them to overcome their fear.

    Patricia @ Smile By Design (Mississauga, ON)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids really do have this tendency of rising to the occasion. It’s understandable that you’re worried about them. It’s their first dental appointment and you want it to be an enlightening experience for them rather than a traumatizing one. If the first dentist’s appointment went this smooth, then you really have nothing much to worry about come the 2nd, 3rd, 7th, or even the 100th, appointments. As their mother, all you have to do now is to make sure that they take care of their teeth by following the dentist’s advice of brushing their teeth and flossing.

    Jody Howell @ HoustonSmileDocs

    ReplyDelete