Wednesday, September 5, 2012

One step forward two steps back!

I haven't posted since the twins Birthday and there is a pretty good reason. I had surgery on August 15th and it completely was not what was expected. Long story short I have had really bad sinus infections for the last couple years. The last sinus infection caused me to go to the dentist because the pain was so severe that I thought I had cracked a tooth. The dentist sent me to urgent care and the doctor at urgent care sent me for an emergency CAT scan which revealed that my nose was severely broken. My best guess is from playing soccer since I was 5 years old. That infection took three rounds of antibiotics, two steroid packs, a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot. I almost was admitted to the hospital and so I figured it was probably time to see an ENT. The ENT confirmed that I needed surgery. I went back to my surgeon who had performed surgery on me when I was a child as my parents had researched the best of the best. He is really good but his bedside manner is well to say the least...horrible! I was not prepared for the amount of stuff that he was going to do...rhinoplasty, septoplasty, repair of turbinates, skin graphs. He pretty much went to town on my nose. I came home with a splint on my nose and severe pain which lasted about a week. My pain got better for about two days before I developed a post op infection which made me feel like I was dying. The infection caused my throat to swell and bleed. I came home with five prescriptions in order to help fight this post op infection. I am now three weeks post surgery and just confirmed today that I have yet another infection from the surgery. I am SO ready for this whole ordeal to be over and to be completely healed. I am thankful that I live in a country with wonderful healthcare and that I have insurance to pay for the surgery. I also do not know what I would have done without my mom and Becky. My mom stayed for over a week to keep the twins and Becky helped with them during my post op infection. My sisters were so sweet to send meals to help out during my recovery. Thankfulness is what keeps me from throwing my hands in the air about this whole recovery process. Prayers are much appreciated as life hasn't been a cupcake lately but the love of my sweet husband and the smiles on my babies face make each day a little easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment